Wednesday, July 18, 2012

The State of the Studio Undressed

Hello Middle of the Week,

Wednesday is here and the topic is usually what is new and going on in the Studio / Shop.

As many of you know my computer was misbehaving for the last couple of weeks.  After much time staring and loading screens and clicking the Restart button at the appropriate time, the new OS X is successfully installed and the computer up to date and everything else is ready to roll!  Pleased about that.

Last weekend was Mid-Summer Treasure Valley Flea Market, although not the venue for me, a good time was had by all.  Due to the event the studio is in disarray and in need of a good sorting out and through things.

However, we are also preparing a couple of fun tutorials.  A video, more than likely presented in segments on how to make a simple pair of earrings.  Once you have the basics down, you'll be making your own pretties in no time.  We will begin with materials, followed by simple and easy to master techniques that are used in all facets of jewelry making, like making a loop at one end of a headpin and how to use jump rings or other attachment methods to complete the earrings.

I thought it might be fun as well to show the new skills I am learning in class, like Cuttle Bone casting.  This is done with inexpensive materials that you can purchase from your local pet and hardware stores.  Neat, huh?

Since I am feeling like the blog is rather stale and we can't be all business all the time, let us take another departure from work and wander into my backyard once more.

A couple of weeks ago I was pleasantly surprised to find a Tiding of Magpies in my back yard including a fledgling.  The black and white of their feathers has inspired a necklace that I am working on, but I thought it might be fun to share one or more of the photos.  

As not to disturb their refreshments I stood at the back door with the camera lens almost pressed against the glass and set once again at the 13x Zoom.


There were a total of six of them, and although I was unable to catch them all at the same time, each one was individual an unique in their markings.  Here is a most handsome fellow, although they were aware of me, they seemed not to care I was there.


Oops, busted!  This adult caught me taking pictures and chastised me before flying off into the tree further down the backyard.  

The fledgling was the last to take off, and the last one to use the birdbath as well.  It is not uncommon for birds to appear in the yard with the feeder set up, but it is a rarity when these magnificent and beautiful creatures arrive and visit for a while.

This little guy still has some of his "baby" feathers.

Thank you for stopping and having a look, and possibly finding a smile cross your face.

The Alchemists Vessel would like to wish you a pleasant Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment