Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Tools In My Studio

Happy Wednesday!  

Here we are in the middle of the week!  Where does the time go?

I thought it might be fun to take a look at some of the tools and other materials I use to make jewelry.

This is my Micro Torch, I use it for soldering, firing PMC (Precious Metal Clay) annealing, and any number of other things that require me to heat things.

This is my Jeweler's Saw.  I use it to cut wire (for jump rings), sheet metal and sizing stock.  Yes, it is exactly like a hacksaw, except the blades are much finer and thinner, and the saw itself is much smaller and lighter weight than a Construction Tool.

These are the tools I use in the creation of Chainmaille, two pairs of pliers, and three mandrels. Of course I have more, these are all that would fit on the background area.  Mandrels are used to wrap the wire to create a coil, from which jump rings are cut.  Pliers are used to open and close the jump rings during the linking process.

Hammers and Anvil.  Yes, it is very cathartic when designing to bring that hammer down on the little piece of wire.  Striking area is very tiny, so precision is a must, and a great deal of attention paid to the piece you are working on.  One wrong blow with the head, and the piece can break, bend, or be ruined.
Stainless Steel Head
Stainless Steel Anvil
Rubber Mallet
4 oz. Brass Claw Hammer (there are screwdrivers in the handle!)

Here is a selection of wire that I use.  Brand new stock that has not been opened as of yet.  From Left to Right: 20 gauge Copper, Nickle, and Jeweler's Bronze (aka "Merlin's Gold"), and the last roll is 18 gauge copper wire.


Here is a coil of Sterling Silver Plated Copper Jewelry wire, I have used up the last of the Silver Plated wire, making the last choker I created.  The wire is straightened, wrapped around a mandrel, the coil is removed from the mandrel and cut using the Jeweler's Saw for a flush cut or it is "Pinch Cut" using wire cutters.





I offer both Hand-forged and Manufactured or machine made clasps, but that is the only thing you will find besides beads and gemstones (I don't have the equipment to do that at home) that are not hand-crafted by my self.  That includes head pins, jump rings and chain.

I suppose it would have been easier to just take a photo of the Bench, but that is covered with materials and stuff that needs to be cleaned up and gone through, I currently use the dining table or head out the garage for creation these days.  Evetually I'll get back to the actual Bench and then I can take a photo.

You can always check out Youtube or Dailymotion.  Currently there are three very short tutorial videos, on opening and closing, measuring the Interior Diameter and winding / cutting your own jump rings.

Thank you for stopping by and having a look.  The Alchemists Vessel would like to wish you a pleasant day!

No comments:

Post a Comment