Today's blog shows you, in a pictorial tutorial how to create the Viper Basket Weave.
Suitable for those just Beginning, or for more Advanced Maillers that would like to try something new.
I would like to state, that all though Maille was once used for armor, these items are meant for personal decoration only. It does not matter what material you make your items with, Stainless Steel, Sterling Silver, Brass, Bronze or Aluminum (as below), it will not protect you from anything. Anything includes, but is in no way limited to: Bullets, Knives, Letter Openers, Slings, Rocks, Pens, Pencils, Harsh Words, or Cupid's Arrows (Regular Arrows, too!)
There are several sizes of rings that are acceptable to make this weave. Suggestions are given at the end of the tutorial.
These instructions will make the bracelet exactly as shown.
Materials and Tools:
2 Pairs of Flat Nose Pliers
Simple Base Metal Toggle Clasp
Total Number of Rings: 115 (for a 7.5" bracelet)
Rings: 18g (swg) Bright and Anodized Aluminum (.04" or 1.2mm)
Bright Aluminum: 35, 9/32" (7.1mm) AR 6.4
AA Pink: 34, 3/16" (4.8mm) AR 4.1
AA Green: 36, 3/16" (4.8mm) AR 4.1
Clasp: (total of 10 rings) 4 Bright Aluminum rings 3/16", and 6 Bright Aluminum rings 1/8".
1. Add 4 closed Green Rings to one open pink Ring. Close the Pink Ring. Add one more Pink Ring through all four (4) green rings.
2. Arrange the rings so the unit looks like this. You have a six ring unit of 2 x 2 chain. Also called Bike or Dragon Chain.
3. Continue to scoop up two closed rings (green) on one open ring (pink) and weave them through the last set of rings (green) on the chain. Add a second pink ring, following the path of the first, to finish the link.
The chain should now look like this.
NOTE: Six sets of 2 (doubled rings) is 1" long.
4. Continue creating the 2 x 2 Chain until you have a 6.5" length of chain or 35 alternating sets of 2 (17 Pink and 18 Green).
5. Go back to the beginning of the chain. Open all of the Large Bright Aluminum 9/32" (7.1mm) rings. Scrap wire shows the path the new ring will follow.
6. Add the new ring, slide it up through the first Green set of rings.
Go over the second pair of pink rings, and down through the third pair of green rings. Close the ring.
The Chain will now look like this. The large ring goes through two sets of green rings, and encircles one set of pink rings.
NOTE: It is important not to flip or turn the chain over while adding the large Bright Aluminum Rings.
7. Slide the next large ring up through the pink rings and over the green rings and down through the next pair of pink rings. Make sure the new rings, slides on top of the last ring just added.
8. Weave through the next Green ring (going over the top of the last ring just added). Skip the Pink ring and weave down through the next Green ring. Close the ring.
Here you can see the next two rings have been added, and the fourth ring is following the same path as the second silver ring.
Close the ring.
Shown from a different angle. Up through the pink ring and over the green rings and Down through the pink rings. Here you can see the correct way the new ring should lay on top of the one behind it.
Continue weaving in this alternating pattern of Green rings and Pink rings until all 35 rings have been linked into place.
9. Weave through the next pair of green rings, skipping the pink rings and weaving down through the next set of green rings. Here you can begin to see the stacking pattern of the large rings.
Close the ring.
As you continue to weave the pattern will emerge. The large rings will stack one on top of the other.
The rings will appear to jog from side to side and take on a woven look.
Kind of like a Picnic Basket.
Once you reach the end of your bracelet, add the final large Bright Aluminum ring through the last pair of pink rings and let it fall into position.
Base metal Toggle Clasp with 4 Bright Aluminum Rings 3/16", 6 Bright Aluminum Rings in 1/8".
Return to the beginning of your chain.
Attach two of the Bright Aluminum 3/16" rings to the first set of rings (Green) of your chain. Slide the ring through the Green set and on top of the first Large Bright Aluminum ring. Turn your chain over and repeat on the opposite side.
Attach the Clasp to these things using 1 Bright Aluminum ring 1/8", slide the ring through both 3/16" rings just added, slide on the clasp and close the ring.
Attach the Bar using the last two 3/16" Bright Aluminum rings. Slide the rings through the last pair of Green rings on the chain., one on each side. Now add two Bright Aluminum rings to those rings. Add two more 1/8" Bright Aluminum rings to the rings you just added. Use the final Bright Aluminum 1/8" ring to attach the bar to the last set of doubled 1/8" rings. Close the ring.
And you're done.
I hope you have enjoyed this tutorial, and that you have learned a new weave to amaze your friends.
Please feel free to leave questions or comments. I like those.
If you would like to try this weave in a larger or smaller size, here are some suggested Jump Rings Sizes that will work for this weave too. Mine is a tight version, some are loose and floppy, choose the one that appeals to you.
18g (1.2mm), 19/64" (7.5mm ID), with 18g (1.2mm) 3/16" (4.8mm) ID.
18g (1.2mm) 5/16" (7.9mm) with 18g 3/16" (4.8mm).
Tiny Tiny Bracelet, may be too tight, or just a 1 x 1 chain instead of 2 x 2 -
Jewelers Brass: 18g (1.2mm) 15/64" (6.0mm) AR: 5.2, with 18g 9/64" (3.6mm) AR: 3.1.
Thank you for stopping in and having a look.
The Alchemists Vessel would like to wish you a pleasant day and Happy Weaving.